About | Trinity University

Coronavirus Updates: The latest information on the global pandemic and campus operations.  COVID-19 Website

Apply Now Visit Trinity

You are here


The Study Abroad Program is dedicated to helping students develop their understanding of international issues in a complex world through study options that promote intercultural learning as an integral part of a student’s Trinity undergraduate degree.

The Program advises and guides students into quality institutions and partner programs abroad best suited to each student’s academic, personal, and professional goals and for which the student is qualified.

In addition, the Program works with Trinity faculty to develop, promote, resource, and support a portfolio of Trinity’s own programs that merge with the Trinity curriculum and provide high quality international experiences for students in every discipline.

When do I start?

First-Year students are advised to attend a short “First Steps Presentation” to begin the study abroad process. The presentation covers everything you need to know about studying abroad at Trinity.

Where can students study abroad?

There are three criteria which must be met for a study abroad program to be considered:

  • Academic quality
  • Health and safety (State Department Warnings, for instance)
  • Appropriate on-site support

“Where” you study is decided by “what” your academic, personal, and professional goals require and for “what” you qualify.


When can I study abroad?

Most students study abroad during the junior year, although a number of seniors also participate.  Trinity students can study abroad at any point for a summer study abroad experience.  Semester/ Academic or Calendar Year study abroad requires permission prior to the junior year. Some majors are sequenced in such a way that students may be restricted to certain terms abroad.  For example, engineering and pre-med students usually go abroad in the Fall of the junior year, while accounting students need to go in the Spring of their sophomore year.

In addition you will find an eclectic range of short-term Trinity sponsored programs - both in the summer and as a part of Spring semester classes.  Trinity’s own programs offer the opportunity to explore a subject in an international context with Trinity faculty and your Trinity class mates.  This allows you to bring the experience back with you and continue the journey of discovery on campus.

Can I go if I don’t speak another language?

Yes. There are many study abroad opportunities in English, even in countries where English is not the primary language.  Although one of your goals may be to learn another language (or improve your skills in one you have already studied), advanced language skills are not a prerequisite for all countries.

What do I study?

Students from every discipline study abroad.  Most students take at least one class in their major combined with curriculum to satisfy other degree requirements. Options include everything from regular university courses, to biological field research, to academic internships or intensive language.

Do I get credit for this?

Students participating in an approved study abroad program will receive at least elective credit for academic courses successfully completed with a grade equivalent of C- or higher so long as there is no duplication of work previously completed and so long as the class is “generally appropriate to a Trinity degree”.  Individual courses may even be approved on a course-by-course basis for the major, minor, or other degree requirement.

Faculty-led programs are considered “in residence” and are credited as any other Trinity class.

Who can go abroad?

To be eligible for study abroad with a Trinity Partner Program, you must have at least a 2.3 cumulative GPA, although the stronger your GPA the broader your range of options. For Trinity Sponsored programs, you must be in good academic standing with a 2.0 cumulative GPA (1.8 for first semester students). Other prerequisites are set by the Faculty Director.

In addition, a student may not currently be on probation or have been suspended for conduct related issues. It takes permission to study for a semester before the Junior year, but summer study is possible in any year."