Transfer Students | Trinity University

Coronavirus Updates: The latest information on the global pandemic and campus operations.  COVID-19 Website

Apply Now Visit Trinity

You are here

Transfer Students

Trinity University welcomes applications from transfer students who demonstrate a commitment to academic achievement seeking to join the Trinity University community. If you have achieved or are on track to achieve at least 12 hours of full-time college coursework outside of your high school completion, you would be considered a Transfer Student. We are a fairly traditional residential campus community and our transfer students are welcomed into the fold through academics as well as co-curricular organization and athletic involvement.

Transfer candidates can use the Common Application and should make sure to check the transfer version of the form.  All other necessary documents for admission are available electronically at, including recommendation forms.

Documents being mailed can be sent to:  

Trinity University
Office of Admissions
One Trinity Place
San Antonio, Texas 78212

Transfer applicants must submit the following documents:

1. Transfer Common Application

2. Personal essay (included with Common Application)

  • Applicants can select any of the Common Application essay prompts. Essays are utilized to learn more about the applicant as well as showcase writing ability..

3. Registrar Report (submit a completed Common Application College Report or a completed Transfer Student Registrar Report to Trinity)

4. College Instructor Academic Evaluation (submit the Academic Evaluation via the Common Application or submit a completed Transfer Student Academic Evaluation form)

5. Official High School Transcript or GED Certificate

  • High school transcript must show graduation date

6. SAT or ACT Results

  • All transfer applicants are required to submit test scores regardless of the number of credit hours completed
  • Scores must be received directly from the testing service or included as part of an official high school transcript.
  • Trinity will use your highest sub-test scores from different testing dates to generate your highest composite score.
  • SAT or ACT scores are not required for students who have been out of high school for more than five years. However, in order to be eligible for merit scholarships, students must submit test scores.

7. Official College/University Transcript(s)

  • Official transcripts are required from each college/university attended. Students who are currently enrolled in their first semester of college must complete the Transfer Mid-Term Report.
  • Transcripts must be mailed directly to Trinity by the other institution through the US Postal Service or a secured electronic method.

8. Course Descriptions

  • Course descriptions should be submitted for each course for which you would like to receive credit for at Trinity.
  • Course descriptions can be compiled into one word document, including your own contact information, and submitted to admissions [at] or mailed to the Office of Admissions.

Transfer Application Deadlines

Spring Semester: October 15
Fall Semester: April 1

Transfer Student Financial Aid

Transfer applicants are considered for academic scholarships based on their academic performance and standardized test scores. Students interested in applying for additional opportunities should submit the CSS Profile application as well as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. Please know that need based financial aid is not available for foreign transfer students, so Trinity does not accept transfer applications from foreign students who require financial aid.

Transfer Student Merit Scholarships

All transfer applicants are considered for general academic scholarships based on a student's academic performance and standardized test scores. Students will be notified of any merit awards in their acceptance letter. Students who are seeking a second bachelor’s degree are not eligible for merit scholarship.

Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Scholarship

Admitted transfer students who are active members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society are considered for a special Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Scholarship  Proof of Phi Theta Kappa membership is required at the time of application.

Additional Financial Aid

Additional financial aid opportunities include grants, loans, and work-study for eligible students. Students must submit the CSS Profile and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to Trinity University as quickly as possible to be considered for these types of aid. The student will be notified if additional forms are required. Please know that need based financial aid is not available for foreign transfer students, so Trinity does not accept transfer applications from foreign students who require financial aid.

Transfer Student Housing

As a residential, undergraduate focused institution, Trinity provides state-of-the-art residential life facilities to our students.  Due to our three-year residency requirement, students are required to live on campus in our suite-style, semi-private residence halls through their junior year (six fall and spring semesters).

Trinity believes in living on campus because:

  • When a student chooses Trinity University, they choose to be active members of the Trinity University community.
  • Trinity students learn outside of the classroom - to be independent, to develop healthy relationships, to experiment with who they are - all in a safe environment.
  • Trinity students are surrounded by others dealing with similar issues, creating a supportive campus environment.
  • Trinity students enjoy a diverse community, where roommates and others have various viewpoints, goals and styles, preparing them for future relationships in a shrinking world, in careers and in personal relationships.
  • Trinity students learn that they have responsibilities as members of a larger community.
  • Trinity students experience extreme personal growth, face challenges and foster friendships that generate memories that last a lifetime!

While Trinity requires students to live on campus, waivers for our on-campus residency policy may be granted to non-seniors who are married, have children (Trinity does not provide family housing) or are beyond traditional college age (over 22 years of age).  For more information, please contact the Office of Residential Life at 210-999-7219.

Frequently Asked Questions

When are the transfer application deadlines?

  • Spring Semester – October 15
  • Fall Semester – April 1

How is my application reviewed?

Applications to Trinity University are given a holistic review.  Admissions officers will review the applicant's academic record, including high school and college work, as well as their extra-curricular involvement to advise admission decisions.  Students are encouraged to address why they are interested in transferring to Trinity University in their application for admission.

How many college credits are needed to apply as a transfer student?

Applicants must have completed/be on track to complete at least 12 credit hours of full-time college course work since graduating from high school in order to be considered as a transfer applicant. 

Is there a maximum number of credits I am allowed to transfer?

No.  There is not a number limit on how many credit hours a student can transfer into the University. There are, however, certain requirements candidates must complete while attending Trinity University in order to graduate. Students must:

  • Complete at least 18 credit hours of Pathways Curriculum coursework while a Trinity student
  • Complete at least 62 credit hours of course work at Trinity University (including courses taken through study abroad) 
  • Complete at least 15 credit hours of each major at Trinity, of which at least 12 must be upper division
  • Complete the last 30 hours before graduation at Trinity

How are my transcripts evaluated for transfer credit?

Transfer evaluations are completed after a student has been admitted to the University. The Office of the Registrar will use your course descriptions and academic transcripts to determine which courses will transfer for credit at Trinity University.

  • Courses may transfer to the University that do not count toward the Pathways Curriculum or your major/minor coursework. These courses will then be identified as elective credit.
  • Courses must have a grade of a C- or higher to transfer to Trinity University.

Are there any merit scholarships available for transfer students?

Yes.  Admitted students are automatically considered for general merit scholarships based on their academic performance and standardized test scores.  Active members of Phi Theta Kappa may be eligible for a separate Phi Theta Kappa Transfer Scholarship  We require proof of membership in Phi Theta Kappa to be submitted with the student's application for admission.

What are Trinity University's classes like? How are Trinity classes structured?

  • Held Monday through Friday
  • During working hours (8 am- 3 pm)
  • Conducted on a semester calendar
  • Few night courses are offered each semester *

*Please note that it is not possible for an undergraduate student to obtain a degree from Trinity by only attending evening classes.

We are a fairly traditional residential campus community; most of our students are 18-22 years old and almost all of our classes are taught on campus Monday through Friday, 8 am to 3 pm. We do not offer night, weekend or online coursework.


Please contact Hillary Everts or Elena Wilson at 1-800-TRINITY or admissions [at]