About the Scholarship
We invite prospective first-year and transfer students to apply for the Storer and Tillman Scholarships for equipping grounded, thoughtful Christian leadership. These are annual, renewable need-based scholarships of $2500, which provide not only financial support, but also special initiatives throughout the year for each scholar’s faith to be challenged and nurtured. In conversation with the University Chaplain, Storer and Tillman Scholars will select from service, study, worship and fellowship opportunities on and around campus to address questions like:
- How does service in the wider community broaden the lens of faith through which we interpret the world?
- How do our worship practices celebrate the very best of the culture’s values, sometimes challenging fruitfully the culture’s “norms”?
- How do the risks of relationship – coming to know and be known within a community of trust – evoke a seasoned faith in God’s good creation?
Mission trips, discipleship groups, guest speakers, retreats, and focused leadership development opportunities will assist scholars in exploring how a way of life deeply responsive to God’s grace takes actual shape.
Opportunities for Faith Development at Trinity University
- San Antonio Plunge Mission Initiative: This four-day mission event is sponsored by the University Chaplain and is available to entering first-year and transfer students each August prior to New Student Orientation. Participants become familiar with life in a faith community in an urban setting, community service at Trinity, and Trinity student life in general.
- Food for Faith Fridays: Weekly conversational worship led by Trinity University Chaplain, Rev. Alexander Serna-Wallender. Participants explore questions, liberating insights, and paradoxes of lived Christianity.
- Spiritual Direction: Rev. Serna-Wallender maintains walk-in hours and scheduled appointments for students who would like a listening ear or sounding board to talk to and pray with about matters concerning them, bringing the light of faith to bear on whatever life may bring.
- Faith Fellowships: Student-led groups gather weekly for worship, fellowship, study, and service. Groups include the Catholic Student Group, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Lutheran Campus Ministry, Reformed University Fellowship, United Methodist Student Movement, and Young Life.
- Retreats: Retreats are sponsored by the University Chaplain's office and by various faith fellowships throughout the year.
- Trinity University Volunteer Action Community (TUVAC) & Alternative Spring Breaks (ASB): TUVAC, supported by our Student Involvement office, sponsors 17 on-going service initiatives in the Greater San Antonio Area, as well as annual ASBs that take place domestically and abroad. All of these service opportunities provide the chance to serve in God's good creation.
Submit Your Scholarship Application
The Storer and Tillman Scholarship application must be completed by January 1 of the year a student plans to enroll at Trinity for the first time. In order to apply for the Storer and Tillman Scholarship, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and:
For more information on this scholarship and the application requirements, please contact the Office of Admissions at 1-800-TRINITY or admissions [at] trinity.edu.